Which fish species to make sushis ?
Sushi is traditional Japanese food. It is a popular dish in Japanese restaurants in many parts of the world, because it is delicious. The main ingredients are sour rice and fish.
For delicious sushi, it is important that the fish is fat. In fact, if the fish contains more Omega-3 fatty acids, the sushi will be tastier. Lean fish does not make good sushi. What are kinds of fish are good in sushi?
What kinds of fish to use to make sushi
In order to make the best colorful, yummy sushi, you need to use the right kind of fish. In fact, the seafood choice varies according to the kind of sushi you make. Eel, squid, crabs or fish can be used in sushi. Choose fish which has a low mercury level and is in rich in Omega-3 fatty acid for the best taste.
- Bluefin tuna: Bluefin tuna is commonly used to make traditional sushi and sashimi. It is from the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Marinate the fish in soy sauce for at least an hour before making the sushi.
- Amberjack or Yellowtail: It has a very low quantity of mercury, with buttery texture and high Omega-3 fatty acids. Hundred thousand tons of amberjack are marketed in Japan every year. It is commonly used for sashimi and nigiri.
- Albacore: Albacore or Bintoro has become popular kinds of fish in Japanese restaurants. It is a kind of tuna. It is not too tasty but if grilled and cooked before the preparation, it makes great sushi. It is low in Omega-3 fatty acids but has a buttery texture.
- Mackerel: Mackerel has very strong fish flavor and taste. Its health benefit is due to the high quantity of Omega-3 fatty acids. Marinate the mackerel in salty vinegar and soy sauce for hours before sushi making.
- Sardine: Sardines are small but make great sushi. The rare delicacy is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Salmon: It is the most commonly consumed fish for nigiri sushi. It has a low mercury level; and it is tasty. Wild salmon is rich in protein and contains 2 types of Omega-3 fatty acid, namely DHA and EPA.
- Halibut: Halibut is prepared fresh for sashimi and sushi. The thin dorsal muscle is the best part for sushi because it is fatter than the other part. In fact, halibut has a low level of Omega-3 fatty acids, but it has a fine taste and a chewy texture.
- Cocinero: Cocinero or Striped jack is found in Eastern tropical Pacific Ocean. It has buttery texture. Marinate in soy sauce after slicing the fish.
Sushi restaurants to eat out
Now that you know the best fish to make yummy sushi, you are ready to make your own sushi. Otherwise, great sushi restaurants can be found in many countries.
For a culinary-based vacation, fly to some of Japan's restaurants, such as Sapporo, or Sushi Shokunin Hatano Yoshiki in Tokyo. If you go to the USA, eat delicious sushi at Kura Revolving Sushi Bar in Los Angeles! Sushi in Central Valley, NY.
Fly to the sushi restaurant of your choice with Opodo. As an online travel agency, you can book your flight and hotel easily with Opodo. Practical advice on where the best sushi restaurants are located can be also obtained by contacting Opodo.